Attorney at Law
Arlington VA, 22219
March 31, 2008
Andrew R. Romagnuola, Special Agent
Federal Bureau of Investigation
151 Patton Avenue, Suite 211
Asheville, NC 28801
Re: FBI raid on Kevin Patriot in November 2007
Dear Agent Andy:
On November 14, 2007, you and your crew executed a search warrant at the address of Mr. Kevin Patriot in Asheville, NC. You did this pursuant to a search warrant issued on November 9, 2007 by Dennis L. Howell, the US Magistrate Judge in Asheville, NC.
1. At the raid at Patriot’ address, you seized a number of valuable items which have no use to a criminal investigation. Since these items will not be used as evidence in a criminal investigation, Mr. Patriot requests that you return them to him. This included the items listed and filled out by Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent Mr. Stuart M. Kelly in the form of a receipt at 10:50 am on that day.
2. At that time you seized one hundred ounces of copper pieces from the USPS box. You are welcome to keep a representative sample for your investigation. It is Mr. Patriot’s request that you return the others to him.
NORFED, the Nation Organization for the Repeal of the Federal Reserve Act and the Internal Revenue Code, is a political action group organized as a non-profit business for its political purposes. NORFED has the political goals of repealing the Federal Reserve System and the Internal Revenue Code. To promote its political purposes, NORFED distributes gold and silver Liberty Dollars in specie, digital and paper certificate form. Mr. Patriot has the right under the US Constitution to participate in political organizations and to promote his political ideals. His role with NORFED is as a Regional Currency Officer and he has the right under the Constitution to participate in political organizations and to promote his political ideals. The Bill of Rights to the Constitution prohibits the federal agencies from interfering with the political process of a free people.
3. At that time you also seized a personal check from the USPS box that was written out from Anna C. Brown to Kevin Patriot. The check has no value to you as part of a criminal investigation and should be returned to Mr. Patriot.
4. You also seized a George Carlin cassette tape and it is astonishing that you would consider it useful to a criminal investigation. You have had adequate time by now to have reviewed it and to have ascertained that it has no value in a criminal investigation. Mr. Patriot requests that you return it to him for his personal enjoyment.
5. At the raids your people also took a Kay Jewelers envelope addressed to Kevin Patriot. I am confident that you will find this of no value in a criminal investigation and it may be returned to his address or to notify him and he will come pick it up.
I hope we can resolve this matter without litigation. We do not want to violate the concept of judicial economy or insult the fine judges in the Western North Carolina. In a similar case involving Robert Clarkson, the magistrate judge in Greenville, SC, ordered the FBI to return most of the material subject to the search warrant. Judges in Asheville will probably take a similar stance. Therefore, we can avoid unnecessary court action if you return these similar items as you returned the seized items to Dr. Clarkson.
The District Court in Asheville, NC, also ordered your office to return all items seized to Robert Clarkson that had no evidentiary value in your investigation. Please apply the same standard to the items you took from Mr. Patriot, and return them to him. This would save everyone a lot of time, resources and the expense of a court case.
The Assistant US Attorney in Asheville agreed to return to Dr. Clarkson his coins, cash, checks and other material. Apparently she anticipated a court order and took the wise action of conceding where she could not win anyway.
NORFED was incorporated in Nevada in September of 1998 as a non-profit educational association for a kindred political association. This political association has always been a political association. To further its political goals, this group has a number of programs, including Liberty Dollar in precious metals, paper warehouse receipt certificates and in electronic form. The First Amendment to the US Constitution also protects the practices of a political organization to promote its political beliefs
If you do not like the goals and practices of NORFED, you may contact your Congressman and request that the freedom of speech provisions of the Constitution be repealed. Until such time, I will expect you to respect Mr. Patriot’ rights to promote any ideas that he chooses to promote, absent anything like violence, of course.
The Constitution not only protects political beliefs, but political practices. Churches not only have religious beliefs, but also have religious practices to further or promote their beliefs. Religious practices are an important part of religious beliefs as are political practices an important part of political beliefs.
FBI agents under your supervision seized Mr. Patriot’ NORFED copper pieces to harass and burden his association with a political organization. Your agency wanted to destroy a political organization and intimidate him into severing his association with a political organization which the FBI had determined was wrong. However, you have no authority under the law or regulations neither to make such a determination nor to attack political organizations. NORFED is protected by the First, Ninth and 10th Amendments of the US Constitution.
As you saw in the news media, a few months ago the FBI office in Boston paid over ten million dollars ($10,000,000) in damages and generated adverse publicity. Please do not bring such shame on the good office in Asheville, North Carolina.
__________________________ Date: ______________________
Patriot Attorney for Kevin Patriot